This is a guest blog by MIT App Inventor Master Trainer Xiangqun Chen.
The 2nd Shenzhen Student Maker Festival was held at mid-October. The App Inventor Contest is one of the activities. Although preparation time is less than a month, we still received more than seventy projects built by students from grade 3 to grade 12.
Many projects are very creative. Students have used a lot of App Inventor skills, such as API, Activity Starter, TTS, TinyWebDB, Bluetooth, extensions and so on. They also have learned Computational Thinking skills by buiding these apps.
Apps built by elementary school students:
- Who gets the bomb? - The player who guesses the random digit will lose.
- Rescuing little animals - Control your phone to not let the ball to touch the edge otherwise the cute animal will die.
Apps built by middle school students:
- Learning how to classify trash - Learn to classify trash by playing the game
- Points 24 - An app to play 24 points. This app has entered the 2nd round of the 2016 Google App Inventor contest for high school and middle school students in China! Latest news: This app has gained top 10 and entered the final contest! (updated on 15th, November)
- Tower of Hanoi - An app to play Tower of Hanoi, which has 7 levels. This app has entered the 2nd round of the 2016 Google App Inventor contest for high school and middle school students in China!
- Rope skipping - An app to help you record the number of times you skip rope.
Apps Built by high school students:
- Chattingfriend - An app to talk with a virtual friend. This app has entered the 2nd round of the 2016 Google App Inventor contest for high school and middle school students in China!
- SMS Assistant - The app can read aloud any SMS on your phone, and can send message to a group contacts. The reading mode can access all SMS on your phone and read it aloud if needed. The driving mode can send SMS automatically.
- Bluetooth game: Rock-Paper-Scissors
- Learning words for kids - An app to teach kids words by scanning A QR code.
- My School Life - An app where you can add, edit, and delete your online memos, save your school timetable, and take a look at the street viewer of specific locations.
- My School Life Assistant - An app that assembles several functions that can really make your school life convenient.